Saturday, May 30, 2009

One Foot In Front Of The Other

I am married to a longtime runner, and every time he talks about the satisfaction of pushing through pain and mental obstacles to reach the "runner's high," I look at him like he has grown a third arm.

I have done many, many things that initially frightened or intimidated me, but running always struck me as the I Cannot Do. It's not just that it's hard. Lifting weights is hard, but I do that. Bike intervals are hard, but I do those, too. Ignoring a table full of hot dogs and hamburgers while eating a clean salad is excruciating. But I did that on Saturday.

Even when I was a kid, I wasn't very good at the simple act of running. In my junior high P.E. class, I was generally one of the slowest people on the track. More than anything else we did - archery, softball, tennis - running was the thing that seemed to set the strong and athletic apart from the ... not. Let's face it, you don't see many chubby runners.

A very fit friend who helped me overhaul my diet and workout routine is convinced that I have what it takes to run regularly, and she encouraged me to try a couch-to-5K over several weeks. She knows that, for me, this is as much about overcoming a mental obstacle as melting fat. I mean, I could do Zumba for cardio. A big part of my weight loss project has been getting past the phrase "I can't."

So I downloaded Week One of this podcast, laced up my shoes and went to work. The 30-minute drill for Week One, bookended by a five minute warmup and cool down, was to run for one minute, walk briskly for 90 seconds, and repeat. I'd like to say that I surprised myself with my stamina and speed, but it pretty much sucked. I didn't quit, but halfway into the podcast, when host Robert Ullray told me it was time to start running again, I spent the next 60 seconds repeating the F-bomb. When I got home, sweaty and angry about how fat and slow I felt, my husband high-fived me. I went to the shower muttering something like "Fuck running," and my son asked me why I looked so mad. I mean, it's not I like was totally out of shape; I'd already been doing a solid cardio routine for months. Yet, the podcast kicked my ass.

When I did it a second time, it still sucked — but a tiny bit less. I did it again today, and while I wasn't stoked, I didn't feel like I was going to die, either. The last interval was a bit much, but I just kept going. No one was going to be captivated by my speed or gazelle-like grace, but holy shit, I was running.

I've got a long, long way to go in my fitness journey, but for now, consistently putting one foot in front of the other feels like a victory lap.

2 comments:

  1. I am so proud of you!!! This is how it starts - one foot in front of the other. When I started running, I couldn't make it past the street sign. And I lived on a corner. :) And the best thing about running is that you're only comparing yourself against yourself. As long as you keep going out there and cursing your way through that run, you're getting better. I cannot wait to cheer for you at the end of your first 5k.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Be ready with the smelling salts! We will own that Jingle Bell Run.

    ReplyDelete